No, I'm not being a traveler today. Maybe due to the fact that I've got an exam tomorrow. Or I'm still not in the mood for traveling - a relaxed state of mind is the key to a meaningful trip. Even a random road trip is gonna be disastrous if you're constantly checking your phone/mail/facebook/etc.

And no, I'm not talking about Paris Je t'aime, so you don't have to close the tab. I don't know why, every time I mention the word "Paris" in relation to a movie the people start moaning. If I have to be honest, I haven't watched  Paris Je t'aime yet. I doubt that I'll not like it, though. I must admit that I love watching simple cheesy romantic movies. Recently, I've even been wondering why. Well, the answers is as simple as the questions - because the aim of those movies is to make you believe that no matter how shitty the things look at the moment there will definitely be light at the end of tunnel. You leave the cinema feeling much more relaxed and at the same time excited. And yes, I love this feeling.

Anyway, today's topic wasn't really connected to the romantic movies. I would love to strongly recommend the movie "Paris".Just "Paris" - as simple as it could be. It's from 2008, but I doubt that most of you have already watched it.


If you love the city of Paris, you're gonna definitely love the movie. I, personally, bought the DVD (no, I didn't downloaded, I wanted to have it) only because it's set in Paris and you can just watch it, without really listening(if you know French)/reading (the subtitles) - you won't get bored if you love boulangeries, pattisseries, small French markets for homemade goods and old buildings. According to me, that's the movie that truly captures the Parisian atmosphere - scent, sight, sound.

You might ask - "But what's going on IN the movie?" or "What's the movie ALL about?" Well, you need to watch it. It's one of those movies, where there is much more feeling than storyline. If you like Woody Allen and "Vicky, Cristina, Barcelona" and "Match Point" in particular, you will love that one. It says many things, but at the same time nothing, or at least directly. Basically, Pierre (Romain Duris), a professional player dancer is suddenly diagnosed with a serious heart disease that could cost him his life. Then, he decides to start observing the people from his petite central Parisian terrace. IMPORTANT - Juliet Binoche plays his sister, and she is simply...amazing. No, adorable!

There are many wheels within wheels - Pierre, the single mother (Juliette Binoche), the affair between an university professor and one of his students, and so on. Truly french and truly Parisian.

If you are stuck at home/in the office/wherever, this is a good evening treat until your next city trip to Paris. And as I mentioned earlier, it's gonna make you start thinking about...well this is up to the person.

P.S. Click on the title entry to watch the trailer!

1 Comment

  1. Lora on 31 May 2010 at 18:24

    I simply love the movie. I watched it several months ago due to your recommendation and I was amazed. Indeed, the movie doesn't say anything directly but instead leaves everyone to make his/her own interpretation and to take from the story whatever fits his/her mood, issues, lifestyle. I am also in love with Paris and its atmosphere, with the people, the style, the culture, the fleeting, yet passionate and complicated love. I would love to go there one day, may be study, may be live, or may be simply enjoy myself.
    On the topic of French atmosphere I would definitely recommend Francoise Sagan's novels. She ingeniously captures this French atmosphere we are so fascinated with. Enjoy and spend a little time w/ Paris, Francoice Sagan, a cup of coffee and a warm croissant.

    http://readwithstyle.blogspot.com/